Monday, August 20, 2012

Welcome: An African American Experience

Welcome Back Students!!! First I would like to say I hope each and everyone had a great and restful summer. I look forward to teaching you a host of new information and several new strategies to assist you in analyzing African American historical data. My ultimate goal this year is to help my students think like a historian and formulate their own perspective about events and people of the African American race. This year will consist of a pivotal presidential election in our nation's history and we will examine the political process that the Constitution has created for the Executive Branch of the United States of America. We will also take a close look at the second half of American History from Reconstruction(1877)-President Barack Obama's Administration. Becoming a productive and active citizen in your community, city, state, and country will allow you to create your own personal history and my plans are to build the foundations for it!
1st Assignment- Due 8/23/2012 by 12:00a.m. Midnight
Students will introduce themselves to the class Blog Post. Name, interest, goals, likes and dislikes of history, plans for school year, future career/occupation, college of choice, etc. (anything positive you would like the class to know about you). This welcome post should be at least 1 one paragraph in length (5 sentences). (see teacher example). The blog post are mandatory weekly and will count as 50 points.
2nd Assignment-Due 8/25/2012 by 12:00a.m. Midnight
Students are required to respond to (2) two of their classmates blog post. Students are required to write a two sentence reply to their classmates original post. Comments are to be respectful and positive. Each comment post will count as 25 points which is a total of 50 points. I look forward to reading your blog post and I he you enjoy a positive form of cyber communication in this class for the 2012-2013 school year!!!

16 comments:

  1. My name is FALLIN Ladd and I am a Social Studies Teacher at Woodlawn High School. I am married with two children Collin and Chelslyn and I most times refer to them as my2CBL. I have been teaching for the past 6 years and I have a strong passion for history. I am currently a student at the University of Montevallo working towards my Ed.S. in Teacher Leadership. I am looking forward to working with all of my students this year and I expect success from each and every one of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name is Monica Henry. I am a very comical person. :)What I don't like about history is that for as long as I can remember I've been learning about the European race since kindergarten and the only thing you hear about the people from Africa is something dealing with slavery, what I do like about history is learning about people of my ethnicity. My goal for right now is to make a high score on the ACT & to get scholarships. My plan for the future is to graduate from UAB and become a traveling nurse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very humorous.I like that you have reasoning and purpose behind you career choices.

      Delete
    2. Monica you are a very funny person and you are a smart girl.I am happy that we take this class with each other.

      Delete
    3. Monica I really wanna see you get mad lol. You are always happy and I use to think that was weird but to be truthful your personality is the type that best compliments my personality :)

      Delete
  3. My name is Shelby Wilson. I am a brutally honest individual and a realist that does not sugar coat the truth to save peoples feelings. Regardless of the fact of my brutal honesty,I am a kindhearted individual with a great love of science. I personally am not to fond of history; although it comes naturally to me. My major dislike of history is that it repeats itself negatively generation after generation. My future goals are to become a Biomedical Engineer attending whatever schools gives me the most money LOL. And I will ultimately become Shelby Wilson,M.D,BME.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelby you sound like a mean person but you are not. I would like for you to explain what a Biomedical Engineer is.

      Delete
    2. Biomedical Engineers are the ones who improve and design medical tools such as MRI machines, Ultrasound machines. And they also make sure medical equipment is safe to use.

      Delete
  4. My name is Frederick Mearon but I like to go by Fred. I'm shy don't like to talk much but will if I have to. Also I like being around my friends and playing basketball with them and talk about crazy things. My plans for school this is to pass the exit exam and the 11th grade. I really don't have no like or dislike about history. Over this summer I been looking UTI and Lincoln college both are automotive technician school. My future career is to one day word for ford and make something of myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey my name is Olandria Robertson I attend Mrs.Ladd's 6 and 7th block class. I am a very cool person to be around and i'm very easy to get along with , I love animals I wanna major in veterinary medicine in college. I would love to attend UAB so I can stay near my family and friends. Also my plan for the school year is to get my education and forget about all the other irrelevant things that go on around me. Well I guess those are just a few things i can say about myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Olandria! You're the first person I know at Woodlawn who wants to be a veterinary, that's cool! Your mindset is already on the right track because it's important to stay away from negativity and to focus on things that is beneficial to you.

      Delete
  6. My Name is Adreunna Janae' Richardson. I love indie films and acting. I plan to become an indie film director and actress. One thing that I like about history is thy it explains almost everything in society today. What I dislike about history is that there is no way that you could be sure if it is completely true. My plans for this year are to get a high score on the ACT and make better grades than I did last year. I want to go to the University of London and study at the School of Speech and Drama. I would also like to be in UCLA's film program

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Opens fortune cookie* You have a bright future ahead of you, that is all. lol Really, I love your ambition for wanting to be an indie film director and actress. Stick to your plan and if it change, hopefully it'll change for better and not worst.

      Delete
  7. My name is Carlton Jackson. I like to play video games. I'm a cool laid back person. I am interested in going into the Air Force and becoming a respected general. I what i like about the military is you are covered if anything happens, they teach you responsibility and humility. What i don't like about the military is that it is hard when you start off . That is a just a little about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My name is Alysia Ellis.I like to dance and text.I'm also a funny and outgoing person. I am intersted in going to Jacksonville State University and majoring in pharmacist.What I like about is there will be alot of people you learn about that you have not even heard nothing about. I do not dislike nothing about history. My plans for 2012-2013 is to pass all classes do good on the ACT and walk across the stage in May 2013.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe we all are looking forward to walking acros the stage. Just stay motivated and focused on the most important things. All us gone make it!

      Delete